Tuesday, July 9, 2013

It's okay to seek help!!

Like many people with a severe anxiety disorder, I live in constant denial. Because of my own insecurities I do not want to admit that there is something I cannot handle on my own. I pride myself on my independence and would be completely embarrassed if anyone knew I needed help. However there comes a time when you need to realize that your anxiety disorder is not who you are, but your anxiety disorder KEEPS you from who you are. There is nothing shameful about getting professional help to help you get back to yourself and your daily living routines. If your anxiety is severe enough it will take professional help to clear your symptoms and moods. Keep in mind that it will take complete dedication to yourself despite the ups and downs that will come during your improvements. It is also important to keep in mind that there is no perfect cure-all for anxiety. Most anxiety disorders tend to make their way to the surface time and time again in your life, but if your toolbox if full of skills and help there is no need to panic-trust me you already have enough anxiety!

Helps:

  • Prescription Medication. (doses can be changed and managed depending on your progress)
  • Group or private therapy. (there is no shame-try it! come on, just once...)
  • DBT therapy. http://www.behavioraltech.com/resources/whatisdbt.cfm http://www.helppro.com/HP/therapist-finder/therapy-approach/ID/Idaho_Falls/49/Dialectical_Behavioral_Therapy_(DBT).aspx (read my experience under "My Story")
  • Take care of your physical body.  The physical and mental parts of the body are so very connected.  What happens to one happens to the other.  When dealing with emotional/mental illness, it is more essential than ever to get proper sleep and nutrition.
  • Keep a journal-looking back at your positive thoughts and feelings will help you on your worst days.
  • Keep a gratitude journal. (you can think of ONE thing every night to be grateful for)
  • Look for the the support in others.  Reaching out to those we trust helps to share the burden, holds us up when we feel we may fall, and helps us not feel alone.  I also found that my experience has helped me reach out and understand others.  I've simply been amazed how many people I've been friends with for years also deal with what I deal with.
  • Don't become a recluse.  Be around other people, especially those who lift you and make you laugh. Endorphins are great!
  •  Have something to look forward to every day.  Do creative things, make music, enjoy a candy bar, watch a comedy or read a good book, plan a trip, have lunch with a friend.
  • Have confidants that hear you out.  Choose those who are good listeners and will keep your confidences.  Talk therapy with a professional or good friend is invaluable.
  • Fake it til you make it. Don't dwell excessively on your own problems in talking with others..  Be interested in others.  Find positive aspects to situations which upset you.  
  • As much as I dislike it, exercise really is essential to mental health.  So is fresh air and sunshine. 
  • Seek spiritual help.  Because of a loving God, prayer, and priesthood blessings, I have been given life-saving help, comfort, companionship, and direction of where to find additional help. Through my knowledge that God loves me and knows me better than I know myself helps me turn over my burdens to a higher power.  It also allows me to communicate almost hourly sometimes with a best friend who has granted "miracles" in my life. These miracles may not seem much of anything to anyone else.  To me, however, sometimes getting through daily challenges is a miracle.




No comments:

Post a Comment